Saturday, August 27, 2011

You ARE what God says about you! Psalm 3


The Rieves are plagued. We have a disease that runs through our bones. We believe, no our being assumes, everyone WILL like us. From the first introduction we attempt to work our magic, cast our spell to secure a good impression. Failure is not an option. We will be liked, because we are likeable. 

This really sets us up for serious disillusionment. If the Bible is clear about anything it is that sin dwarfs our ability to love. That means others are not only not going to like us, but they will take advantage of us, and dream of ways to avoid if not bring harm to us. When the harm of another collides with the assumption of our likeability, we act the way we feel, namely as if the sun forgot to shine. We act as if the most unnatural thing is occurring when in fact it is quite the opposite. Because of our broken nature we will be unliked, even by those that should love us. 

We see this in David's life. When he wrote this Psalm he was being hunted like a dog by Absalom his own son, and his son's army. "Hunted," is not an exaggeration for Absalom wanted to kill David. This is surprising in and of itself, but what is even more surprising is that David never mentions this. Instead of complaining to God or confessing the sins of his son, he goes to God for deliverance. He allows the hate of his son to drive him to God as his deliverer. 

He even goes to God with his desire for his enemies to be struck on the jaw and for the teethe of the wicked to be broken. How many family meetings have we held in which we struck our wicked offenders on the jaw and broke the teethe of those that had the nerve to hurt us? How many times have we assembled to confess the sin of others, leaving little to no room for mercy? We, unlike David, loose sleep as peace evades. Isn't there a better way?

There was a leprous man who went to Jesus and this was his plea, "If you are willing, make me clean." This man was in a life or death situation, yet he puts his life and death in Jesus' hands. It seems to me David is doing the same. He is not stewing in anger, but swimming up from the bottom of deep hurt propelled by the hope of deliverance, not by God, but in God. God is his shield, not altered circumstances. 

When we have God, we have enough. His love is better than anyone's acceptance. His faithful presence to shield and renew us is life itself. Time spent leaning deep into Him, confessing His love is life even if all else is death. So, no matter what others are saying about you, you are what God says about you. And you need to agree and say with David, "To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me..."

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I needed to hear this. We sang "In Christ Alone" at church today and then I read this. It's almost as if God knows my heart....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to memorize the last paragraph and recite it to myself in the middle of my sleepless nights. Leaning deep into Him is so difficult. Mom encouraged me this week with the same type of sermonette. Maybe two times means I should REALLY listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the last paragraph.. I keep reading it over and over again, begging God to help me believe it and live accordingly. I have a parent in my class that is almost daily criticizing my every move... It makes me feel like I am walking on pins and needles all day and all I do is worry. May God be my shield and may He deliver me from the prison of people pleasing I've created for myself. Jesus is my identity and His love is better than anyone's acceptance!!

    ReplyDelete